Thursday, February 5, 2009
Just call me Rachel Ray....
....no, don't. I've actually invented a recipe. I'm sure someone, somewhere has done something similar, but I claim it as mine. Yeah, like Rachel, my invention is pretty much tweaking an old concept and giving it a stupid name, but I promise, no "stoup" or "sammie." I use real English words. I've invented meat muffins. I wanted to do muffins for breakfast for an event. They could be made in advance and frozen, left out overnight, and breakfast is done before the coffee. The problem is getting protein for the fighters and really active people, and having something for people who can't just have sweet pastries for breakfast, like diabetics. I like the idea of savory muffins. Something like rosemary/parmesan would be nice, but there's still not a lot of protein. Basically, I made mini-quiche with meat crust. I took breakfast sausage and crumbled a handful of crackers into it and added an egg. Then, I put a little in the bottom of each cup of a muffin tin, and pressed it into a sort of cup shape. I baked it for about 10 minutes, while I made the filling. I beat about 6 or 8 eggs, added salt and pepper, some milk, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I didn't measure exact amounts, but it came out to about 2 cups. I poured that over the sausage and baked the whole thing for another 12 minutes or so. The egg puffed up beautifully, and the ones I took for lunch today were still good. I'll have to test how well they hold up to freezing before signing on to mass-produce them. They also need liners. I'm thinking foil would be best, since the "crust" is blind baked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mmmmm...sounds yummy! I'll totally be your taste tester! :-)
ReplyDelete