The quilt is finally put together, and I have started quilting it. Yea! A lot of the holdup was being busy, but most of it was that my sewing machine needed to be cleaned, badly, and I didn't realize that was the reason I was having to fight it so much. It is much better now, although I don't think the bobbin tension is quite right, still, but it works. So Wednesday, I sewed the outer border to the top of the quilt, pieced the back together, put all of the layers together and basted it with safety pins. I didn't quite get the yardage right on the backing, so a long time ago, I bought a yard of a print. That yard, intact, is the center of the back of the quilt, and I sewed a wide border of the navy fabric to the edges of it. At some point, there will be pictures.
I've been holding onto fabric for garb for a while. I want to make a late-fifteenth century Florentine-style gown. My favorite that I've seen is the Ghirlandaio portrait of Giovanna Tournabuoni. http://www.abcgallery.com/G/ghirlandao/ghirlandaio26.html This is only a partial view, the portrait is from a fresco in the family chapel. If I remember correctly, it's one of the frescos that shows a biblical scene with the family of the patron, in the latest contemporary fashions, as witnesses. The style is for a slightly high-waisted gown with an overgown that is open down the sides and front, usually clasped in front, somehow. I've got 5 yards of lavender linen for the under dress, and a couple of yards of heavier white linen to line the bodice, and 4 yards of navy blue wool for the over gown. I'm kind of thinking of doing an overgown/cloak. It wouldn't be period to take the over gown off when I came inside in a public place, but I'll be honest, I suck at making cloaks. I don't know why, but I do. This tabard, I have a pattern for, it looks simple and straight-forward, I think I can manage it. I'm hoping I have enough left to try a jerkin for Neale, but we'll see. Anyway, I've been holding onto fabric, because we have been trying to start a family, and I'm about to get an ipod touch, and join my mom on the idiet. She's lost 20 pounds using a calorie-counter app, and I really want to try it. I have no idea what size I'll be six months from now, so I haven't seen the point in making a lot of new stuff, but this kind of gown, I figure I'll have some wiggle room. It doesn't necessarily have to lace closed in front, I've seen plenty of portraits that show a small gap. I can sew lacing rings onto another strip of fabric, and move that piece if I need to. If I make it side-lacing, I'll have even more latitude in altering the bodice, because it won't be as visible. So, now that the machine-sewing on the quilt is done, I think this dress is going to be my next project.
No comments:
Post a Comment