Friday, October 4, 2013

It is a crime against God to deny yourself love

I'm watching Jane Eyre on Ovation for the hundredth-ish time. It's the miniseries version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. That's probably my second-favorite version. Can't beat Michael Fassbender as Rochester. I could so do with knitting and sewing as classes at school. But, I digress. I haven't read a lot of classical literature for a while. I think I've gotten out of practice. I first read Jane Eyre when I was about 8 or 9, and I was too young. I didn't like it, I just slogged through to the end to find out what the secret was. When I re-read it as a teenager, I fell in love with Jane. She was "poor, plain, obscure, and little," but she didn't let herself be trampled on by anyone. I identified with her rage at being treated unjustly as a child and being powerless to stop it. Honestly, Jane Eyre is still a role model for me. I cut the last post short because my sister called, and there were things...and stuff. It's amazing how family can instantly turn reasonable, responsible, 30-something women into bratty, arguing teenagers. It was one of those arguments that wasn't really about the issue that started it, and went off into all the wrong that had ever been done, ever. It was ugly. My husband had to calmly take the phone from me and end the conversation. After that, I just couldn't concentrate much on writing about crafty stuff. So, it's Friday. (Woot!) Sadly, I have a workshop to go to in the morning for work. It won't be too bad. After, I'm going to see Wicked with my mom and sister (the plans, and a mistake on my part were responsible for the argument. The initial screw-up was mine, I admit.). Later, we're probably going to have our goddaughter over, unless she stays with her Grandma. Still not quite sure. Busy weekend, when all I want to do is be a slug on the couch until the sinus stuff we've had goes away. The weather is supposed to change soon, and I hope that clears it up. I've been browsing laundrybasketquilts.com. I really like the wedding ring pattern. There are several traditional patterns I really like, like double wedding ring and Dresden plate. My Great-Aunt Caroline was a quilter, and my grandfather has a double wedding ring quilt of hers hanging on the wall in his den. The work is beautiful. The color palette is not my favorite. It's all brown and mustard gold with a little red. That '70's "Harvest Gold" sort of dark yellow is probably my least favorite color ever. The sink and stove at my parents' house used to be that color when they bought the house. It was hideous, especially since the sink was really scuffed on the bottom and the color had worn in places. Both of them are long gone, thank goodness. Anyway, when I see pictures of Edyta Sitar's quilts, I really like them, but when I look at pictures of her fabric collections, they're kind of...meh. I love the pop of the bright batiks against the neutral backgrounds, but her prints are very antique-looking. I just don't care for the sort of muddy-colored Civil War-repro/primitive fabric, except in very small doses. The plan for the weekend, sewing-wise, if I can get some time, is to cut sashing strips for the Ocean Snail quilt, and maybe lay the blocks out. If our goddaughter comes, I doubt I'll get that far. I have a recipe for bread that I want to make with my class this week, and I need to test it first to make sure it will work before I try it at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment