The holidays are over. I didn't quite finish the fingerless gloves I was working on. I am almost finished with the sweater, I just have one more sleeve. I started cutting out pieces for my niece's baby quilt. Then, I hurt my right arm. It appears to be tendinitis, so I've been resting my arm. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to things soon.
In the meantime, I've been thinking about a feast. No, I don't want to cook one. I just haven't seen any feasts that have impressed me lately, and I was thinking about what I'd do. I'm thinking an early spring feast, French/Italian.
first course (because "remove" isn't period)
Green Poree - a light soup of chard, herbs, and broth
meatballs
bread with butter
second course
roast chicken
turnips with cheese
apple custard tart
third course
lamb casserole - chunks of lamb slow-cooked in broth
cheese gnocchi
asparagus with saffron
fourth course
torta bianca - cheesecake
wafers
confits - candied fennel seeds
I want the recipe for the Green Poree.
ReplyDeleteGreen Poree with Swiss Chard:
ReplyDelete3 3/4 pounds of Swiss chard
7 oz salt pork belly or blanched pancetta, cut into matchstick pieces
2tbsp minced parsley
1 tbsp minced fennel
4 cups meat broth
Wash the chard thoroughly, trim off the stalks and cut the leaves into fine strips. Soak in cold water, rinse in a change of water and drain. Dry carefully.
Meanwhile, put the pork and broth into a pot and bring to a boil. When this reaches a boil, add the chard and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the herbs, check for salt, and serve hot.