Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow day!

I woke up to a phone call from my boss at 5:58 am. Normally, I don't like phone calls that early, but she was telling me that school was closed, go back to bed. I could have done many, many things with my snow day. I did.....not a whole lot. I'd intended to really work with the Turkish bellydance dvd I got, but never quite worked up the energy for that one.

The only really productive things I did today were to wash some fabric, order some seed catalogues, and knit while watching "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." That's about it. Today was a sleepy day. It's been cloudy and cold and dreary, it's stay in bed and sleep all day weather, and I sort of wallowed in it today. Tomorrow is likely to be an actual snow day, maybe with a little real snow and everything, and I'm going to try to be productive tomorrow.

Yes, I ordered seed catalogues, instead of buying seeds at the store. I requested catalogues from companies that specialize in heirloom and organic seeds. Yeah, this year, I may not do more than a couple of planters with tomatoes and basil, but I want to do it right. There are a lot of varieties of vegetables, fruit, and domestic animals that are in danger of becoming extinct, because people don't grow them anymore, and that's just wrong. Biodiversity good, homogeneity bad. Besides, all of the heirloom tomatoes I've tried have been awesome! Cherokee purples may not be the prettiest (the purple comes out kind of bruised-looking), but they're delicious. I have high hopes for other heirlooms. Worst case scenario, my seeds don't sprout, and I replace them with plants from a nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment