Monday, April 27, 2009

I have SCA ADD

We went to Beltaine this weekend. I'll probably post more later about the event. There is much to critique. But for now, I'd prefer to dwell on the highlight of the event. A very lovely lady was elevated to the Order of the Pelican, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. I can, however, think of one or two who are equally deserving, but that's another issue. This lady is probably the most gracious person I've ever met, and I'm very glad that her hard work and chivalry have been recognized. One peer in particular, a local and not-so-local legend, said some amazingly complimentary things. I don't remember the exact quote, but something to the effect of "I've been a peer since 1977, and I've never met anyone who deserved peerage more." The ceremony was lovely, although they omitted the part where a member of the populace speaks on behalf of the person, which I think sucks, big time. I think a lot of the high and mighty forget that they are there BECAUSE of the populace. Without the peons who actually do the work, there are no events at which one can dress up and play king. One might think the "royals" might be a little more appreciative of the populace, since they don't actually HAVE things like armies, or the power to imprison or execute people to fall back on to enforce their status. I don't think that the populace would have been left out if the elevation had occurred under the original monarchs, but then it would have happened at Gulf Wars, and we wouldn't have been able to be there. But, I digress.



I started thinking about wardrobe. Because, in keeping with this gentle's general grace and loveliness, the gown she wore for the elevation was GORGEOUS. It was a 16th-century French gown that looked like it could have been in a Holbein portrait. She had the Spanish farthingale, French hood, and I didn't see the undergown, but I've been told that the undergown could have been worn all on its own, and been suitably impressive. This got me to thinking, if I were to be elevated, what would I wear? This led to yet more evidence that yes, I have SCA ADD. There are so many cultures and time periods that I find interesting, I just have a hard time settling on one. Eventually, I'll probably end up with, like four personas. I love my name, Medb, which is early period Irish. Go figure, I go for the queen from the Tain who told her husband where he could stick this idea that her queenship and fortune were entirely dependent on his sufferance. I've kind of settled on early 14th century, cause I like the clothes. Early cotes are comfortable, and flattering.



Irish is great, but for one thing, it's really hard to research, unless you go for the expensive archaeological reports, which I don't. Plus, an Irish bellydancer (in period), well, kind of offends people's feng shui. So, at the very least, must have Middle Eastern garb for that. I like Turkish or Persian, personally. It's really comfortable, although the layers get a little warm in summer. I'm sorry, saris are the only way to go in summer, especially if you can go without a petticoat.


Then there's Italian. Late 15th/early 16th century Italian are my favorite Impressive dresses, particularly the Florentine style with the tabard-like overgown. Italian is good, because it's lighter than the English and French styles usually are, but it's suitably impressive. It's also pretty simple and modest, as Renaissance fashions go. Florentine gowns were usually solid colors, with a contrasting band, sometimes two, around the neckline. Of course, if you go earlier to get the tabard, there were more patterned fabrics.


So, I think for the court when I'd be called to vigil, I'd probably go with a cote. For the vigil, I'd want a Turkish haremlik. Lots of carpets, and cushions, and probably some kind of divan-like thing made of, like, boxes, so people wouldn't have to sit on the ground. Of course, I'd need the garb to go with it. For the ceremony itself, definitely Florentine. I'd go with the pearl-studded net caul to hold my hair, embroidered chemise, tied-on sleeves, the whole nine yards......and hope I could talk the royals into doing the elevation at Diamond Wars, or Winter Wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment